Yes, I do realize this is my second post about beets. And I realize that not everyone is a fan of beets. But if you aren’t YOU SHOULD BE! Super food, any one? It’s ok, if you really have a deep hatred for this quiet, unassuming vegetable, you may be excused. I won’t hold it against you, buh-bye now.
Yay, you’re still here! Even if you aren’t a fan of this humble root vegetable, think of your family, think of your friends… would offering them something new be such a horrible thing? Maybe you will sway just one person into the welcoming arms of the beet lovers group. To them, I say: “Welcome, new friend, we are so happy you are here!”
If you are a seasoned lover of beets, you understand where I’m coming from. Some people say they taste like dirt. To those people I say, “That’s ok, if you don’t like them, it just means more for the rest of us.” More for those of us who know the secret about beets…
Besides, they add such a lovely color to the dining table during any meal. I’m sure everyone has heard that we should eat every color of the rainbow, and adding beets to your diet is an awesome way to accomplish just that!
So without further ado: On with the Beets!
- 6 Medium Beets
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic, diced fine
- 1 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2" Sprig of Rosemary
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- Cut the tops off the beets, leaving ~1 inch of stalk attached to the beet
- Place the beets in one layer in steamer basket set in a large pot
- Add 2-3 cups water to the pot, not more than to the bottom of the steamer basket
- Steam beets for 45 minutes, until a sharp knife pierces the beet easily. (more or less cooking time depending on the size of the beets and the elevation you are cooking at)
- Allow beets to cool enough to handle
- Peel beets by "squeezing" the skin off with your thumb and index finger
- Rinse beets and cut into eight pieces, set aside
- In small pot combine remaining ingredients, garlic through soy sauce
- Bring to a simmer
- Simmer until mixture reduces by ½
- Remove and discard rosemary sprig
- Pour balsamic sauce over beets
- Refrigerate 1 hour or longer
- Serve as a side dish